Monday, April 12, 2010

Words Kill.

Phoebe Prince was 15.
Phoebe Price was a freshman in high school.
Phoebe Prince moved to America from Ireland.
Phoebe Prince had a lot ahead of her.

Phoebe committed suicide by way of hanging herself on January 14th 2010.



Phoebe Prince was a sister.
Phoebe Prince was a cousin.
Phoebe Prince was a classmate.
Phoebe Prince was a daughter.
Phoebe Prince was a friend.

Phoebe Prince is now gone.

 What drives a young girl to make the end come unnaturally soon? Did she think that eliminating her existence in this earth would make life better?  Did she just give up? Did she think she wasn’t worth something?

Did she think that her life mattered? --- Apparently it didn’t to some.

Evidence points to Phoebe’s reasoning to end her life lies in the words and actions taken by fellow peers and classmates. Sources say that Phoebe was constantly harassed due to her past dating relationships.

"Their conduct far exceeded the limits of normal teenage relationship-related quarrels. The investigation revealed relentless activity directed toward Phoebe designed to humiliate her and to make it impossible for her to remain at school."
Words. Words matter.Words brought this young impressionable girl to end something that could have touched so many others. Words matter.

She could have been the next first lady, movie star, astronaut.
She could have been a superb mother, aunt, teacher, business women.

Now no one will ever know because of the power of words intertwined with the innocence of blind belief. I will not say this had to do with her being weak- it does not take weakness to decide to end your life convinced your something worthless.  

That takes strength, passion, focus and a drive. This girl thought she was worthless, or life was.

Words matter.

This story touched my heart, and has been lingering in my mind. 

Phoebe’s story made me ask myself questions.

What are my words doing? What actions will result because of my words? Who is listening to my words? How powerful are my words? Who is weak? Who is strong? Who am I helping?  What am I saying?

Phoebe was young, and had her whole life ahead of her. –now its over.


I think her life should not have ended for nothing. I think everyone who has heard her story should be touched, should be moved, should care a little but more, should love a little deeper, should speak kindly to strangers.  

Life is precious and everyone means something. No one is worthless, no one means nothing.

I heard it said once- “We don’t live alone.”

We are surrounded by people, by Phoebes. What are you doing to stop the image people have of themselves being worthless?

What is purpose? What is worth living for?  

No comments:

Post a Comment