Monday, May 10, 2010

SEX SELLS.

Every person in this world can count on being effected by pop culture. In one way or another every person comes into contact with it. Movies, Music, Clothing, Make up, Advertisements- and the list can go on.

How does that effect us?

I remember when I was in middle school- looking up to the actress Christy Carlson Romano on the T.V. show Even Stevens. On the show she played a hard working, over achier, perfectionist.  I thought she was so cool that I started to research and find out more about her life. I learned that she enjoyed Broadway and singing- so I started to learn songs from musicals, and what it took to be on Broadway. I wanted to be like her. She was a role model. -- my role model.

Now... Miley Cryus. This girl came out of the Disney channel from a little entertaining kids show- to hello Hollywood! She has brought this "look at what I have to offer" attitude with her. Through Miley's recent climax to stardom- it seems like she thinks she has "something to prove." Watching her new music video made my heart hurt for her. Now, I don't blame her- she is simply following in the way of everyone else, and lets be honest- Sex Sells. But- can a 17 year old child sell sex? Yes. It is sad and pathetic but true. Americans willingly except a child exploiting herself to make money and entertain us. - And it is working.

Here are some lyrics to her new song-

"For those who don’t know me, I can get a bit crazy
Have to get my way, 24 hours a day
‘Cause I’m hot like that
Every guy everywhere just gives me mad attention
Like I’m under inspection, I always get the 10s
‘Cause I’m built like that

I go through guys like money flyin’ out their hands
They try to change me but they realize they can’t
And every tomorrow is a day I never planned
If you’re gonna be my man, understand

[Chorus]
I can’t be tamed, I can’t be saved
I can’t be blamed, I can’t, can’t
I can’t be tamed, I can’t be changed
I can’t be saved, I can’t be (can’t be)
I can’t be tamed"


In these short words Miley is telling people that her worth comes from the label she receives from guys and that they are expendable to her because of her looks. ---That is the message that is being sent to Miley fans?
Maybe it's not Miley's fault.. Maybe this is Americas fault.

What should be expected from a young girl whose income and fame is based on sick sex obsessed Americans? Sex Sells. And Miley Cryus is proving it. No matter what age the promiscuity is coming from it will sell.

Americans have the power to make an innocent, naive, child think it is okay to sexually exploit herself in order to make some cash? We are teaching young women- its okay to disrespect yourself and let all American see it- as long as you are getting paid for it. Where does she think her value comes from?

Money? Exploiting herself? The amount of dates she can go on? -- What is America teaching women?
I guess the question isn't- how does the media effect us?

But how to we affect the media?

America. Your pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment